Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Liveblogging Dan the British Man's Misery

Dan McCarey is a British multimedia producer working at a non-profit organization for journalists. He is a rapid supporter of Obama, so Obama's loss was a brutal blow to Dan McCarey. I will be luring McCarey into a conversation about Obama and other extended topics to explore how his perception of the US differs based on the candidates.

It is also important to note that I am from Central Pennsylvania.

hello everyone- so right now I'm liveblogging Dan McCarey's reaction to Obama losing Pennsylvania. This election very well may kill Dan before it's over.

12:50- Why do you think Obama lost Pennslyvania? "I think he lost PA because essentially they are racist people- look at the districts he won and loss. He lost backward districts- I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Larger debate of what is America." People are more comfortable with Hillary. I obviously think they are wrong.

12:54- I think its interesting why Obama doesn't appeal to those people. I don't think they desperately want a woman as President. Why did they vote for her!

12:56: Fariba interuppts: when I was a little girl... Dan: how could they think that Hillary relates to them- she isn't going to help them out in any way!

Dan: how can you respect race if you don't live in a diverse place? A lot of this comes down to economics in the end- they (Pennslyvanians) look for someone to blame.

Obama personifies change- this is my opinion- a vote for Clinton is backward. By backward, I mean in the the way that America is moving- McCain has no understanding of these issues.

12:58- Natasha: you're going to give in Dan a heart attack!
12:59 Dan "its NOT about Hillary- the most positive points of Amercia is what Obama personifies- McCain personifies everything bad about US policy- with a few exceptions-
He should have never fought in the war- the idea of Vietnam and the war was just wrong in the first place.

1:03- Cold War was a terrible policy on both sides- what was that about- fear and secrecy- I don't think that America needs a big army- why do they have it?

1:05-A horrible xenophoibic congressman! (McCain)

1:09- why do we have this idea that a country has a right to choose who can visit their country?!?!

This conversation continued for another 20 minutes on illegal immigration and the right to travel, but it wasn't really relevant. I'll have pictures of Dan's woe up in a few hours.

No comments: